Fall Semester at Oxford University

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My New Wheels


Yesterday seemed frighteningly reminiscent of the day I walked out of the Dover DMV office with a brand spakin' new drivers license, except this time I was leaving Cycle King and a new bike was at my side. Yes, I revel in the irony that at this point in my life a bike is my source for independence, but the bus schedule is inconvenient and the walk to town takes too much time. So I caved and purchased a bike, which has made traveling around Oxford much more desirable and fun.

Naturally, when bike shopping I selected the British made Mach 15, which I have yet to determine whether it is capable of reaching the speed of plaid. Actually, it was the cheapest bike, but nonetheless I am quite proud of my new wheels. If I am cool enough, I just may get a vanity license plate behind the seat, circa elementary school, which would complement a wolf t-shirt very nicely.

Cycling around the city is a rush due to the narrow roads and fearless drivers but I seem to be getting along quite well (I have avoided an accident, at this point). Unlike in the states, bike traffic – which is very much prevalent – must obey standard driving rules. Sure enough, I was told to “Watch my arss” after safely taking a left turn at a red light by a fire truck driver.

1 Comments:

  • I'll let Nick Clemons and the Shaheen folks know that you're riding around on a bike...I'm sure they'll be as impressed as they were when you went canvassing on a bike in Rochester...

    By Blogger The Bald Moose, at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home